The Festival de Cannes has recognised the need for environmental responsibility related to hosting a major international event, and has announced a number of measures that will be in place for the 74th festival that will take place from July 6-17, 2021.
After consultation with Green Événements, the Festival organisers have realised the importance of reducing their carbon footprint : recycling tarpaulins and carpets, reduction of electricity usage thanks to planned lighting, optimisation of waste recovery, carbon offsetting contributions for travel, printing on certified paper etc.
Cannes Film Festival 2021 will have a three-pronged strategy:
- Reducing waste and carbon emissions.
- Recovering residual materials.
- Offsetting the carbon footprint.
12 initiatives will be in place for Cannes Film Festival 2021:
- 60% of the official cars will be electric or hybrid vehicles.
- A 50% reduction in the volume of red carpet used, already fully recyclable and recycled.
- A 24% reduction in carpet used in the International Village zones.
- A 50% reduction in paper printing based on a reduced print run and more online content. The festival's Official Programme will be available online, and the print version will be launched mid-May to subscribers.
- Maintaining a waste recovery rate of 95%. In 2019, 99% of the 250 tons of waste was recovered: 81% in materials, 19% in energy.
- Raising awareness of eco-responsibility with the organising committee, Marché du Film exhibitors, suppliers and participants.
- The appointment of an independent scientific committee to select reliable and relevant compensation programmes. During the next festival, the committee will unveil selected local, national and international projects to which the sums collected by the contributions of the festival and participants will be allocated.
- An environmental contribution from the festival to offset the footprint of the event's production (preparation, assembly, technical means, by products).
- An environmental contribution of €20 excl. VAT from festival goers to compensate for the footprint for travel and accommodation.
- A soft mobility incentive thanks to a pass for public transport access in Cannes on presentation of a festival badge.
- The total elimination of plastic water bottles (there were 20,000+ in 2019).
- Responsible catering: Each supplier will respect specifications encouraging the use of local producers and seasonal produce, offer vegetarian alternatives, reduce and limit waste.
Palais des Festivals certifications
After obtaining the “Sanitary Security Label” and “Ecovid Label” issued by SOCOTEC, in February 2021, the Palais des Festivals et des Congrès in Cannes was awarded North America’s top health certification for public hospitality facilities in March 2021, the GBAC STAR™ Facility.
Awarded by the Global Biorisk Advisory Council*, this certification attests the implementation of the strictest protocols in terms of cleaning, disinfection and prevention of infectious diseases within the establishment.
Already issued to the largest convention centres in the U.S, this certification has for the first time been awarded to a convention centre in France. These certifications have allowed health protocol assessments of the Palais' office and organisational areas, Tourist Office and shop, delivery docks, terraces, exhibition spaces, and reception and conference areas.
This is great news for the rejuvenation of Cannes events including Festival de Cannes. We’re looking forward to welcoming our clients back to Cannes events in the future.
To follow the updates for Cannes Film Festival 2021, visit the official website: https://www.festival-cannes.com/en/https://www.festival-cannes.com/en/
Telephone : +33 4 93 59 37 85
Warning: Use of undefined constant EWF_SETUP_THEME_DOMAIN - assumed 'EWF_SETUP_THEME_DOMAIN' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /homepages/32/d299992102/htdocs/adams-adams23/wp-content/themes/sapphire-wp/templates/blog-item-default.php on line 87