A great centre piece for any dinner or buffet and a very well behaved dish. Serve with a couple of different salads et voila!
• 3 eggs hardboiled
• 50g butter
• 700g skinless, boneless salmon fillets cut into finger thick slices
• 500g Puff Pastry
• 1 egg , beaten, for glazing
• 1 kg of Fresh Spinach Leaves
• 1 large onion , finely chopped
• 200g basmati rice
• 1 bay leaf
• 400ml fish stock or water
• zest 1 lemon , juice ½
• large bunch dill
• First, cook the eggs till hardboiled, drain, cool, peel & chop and set aside.
• Pan-fry the salmon fillets for 1 minute each side but not cooked through. Set aside.
• Now cook the Basmati rice. Melt butter, add onion, stir for a couple of minutes then add rice, with bayleaf, cover with fish stock or water, bring to the boil, then lower the heat to its lowest setting and continue to cook for 10 mins. Turn off the heat and leave covered for 10 mins, then stir through the lemon zest and juice. Set aside to cool. Once cool add chopped dill to rice. Set aside till needed.
- To assemble the pie, roll out one of the pieces of pastry to a rectangle, then pack half the rice along the middle of the pastry, leaving a good 5cm border at edges. Lay salmon over rice, then chopped hard boiled eggs, then a layer of fresh raw spinach leaves, the another layer of rice. Top with another layer of fresh spinach leaves and the top layer of puff pastry. Trim edges, and seal sides with back of a fork. Brush the pie all over with beaten egg.
- The uncooked pie can now be chilled, on the baking sheet, for a day or frozen for up to 2 months.
- To cook, heat oven to 220C/200C fan/ gas 7. Bake for 20 mins, then reduce the heat to 200C/180C fan/gas 6 and continue to cook for 20 mins until golden brown. Remove from oven, then leave to rest for 10 mins, then serve in thick slices with a bowl of Dill Crème Fraiche.
- Serve at room temperature or cold. Delicious!