Posted by Kate Adams in Receipes & How To
Welcome to our new feature to help inspire you to cook. Each week we will feature one of our favourite recipes with step by step instructions to ensure perfection every time.
To start us off, this week we are featuring an Asian recipe, full of those zingy flavours found in all Asian cooking.
Delicious Vietnamese Sweet and Sour Soup
Serves 4 as as Main Course and can be adapted to use whatever white fish you can find wherever you are in the world.
(we make no apologies for the imperial mesaurements….not too good on this whole metric thing!)
1 litre fish stock, homemade if possible
1 tblsp vegetable oil
1 tblsp white spring onions, chopped
200gr firm white fish ie Spanish mackerel or white tuna, cut into 8 pieces
1 tblsp white spring onions, pounded
2 ½ tsp fish sauce
¼ tsp coarse black pepper
¼ tsp dried chili flakes
¼ tsp sea salt
2 tblsp tamarind paste
½ cup pickled bamboo slices (Asian grocer)
½ cup pineapple cut into 8 slices
½ cup okra, sliced
1 cup taro stem, sliced
1 tomato, quartered
½ cup bean sprouts
1 tsp lime juice
1 tsp sugar
1 tblsp mild red chilli and garlic, pounded
½ cup rice paddy herb, chopped
1 tblsp Chinese coriander, shredded
1. Heat fish stock in a stock pot.
2. Heat oil in a small frying pan, add spring onions and fish, fry for 1 minute, stirring gently.
3. Add fish sauce, pepper, chili and salt and cook for 3 minutes. Turn off heat.
4. Add bamboo slices, pineapple, okra, taro stem to the broth and bring back to the boil.
5.Add fish mixture, tamarind paste, tomatoes, lime juice and sugar. Cook for 5 minutes then turn off heat.
6. Add bean sprouts, rice paddy herb, coriander, garlic and chili mix. Season to taste with the salt and pepper
Serve with steamed rice or vermicelli rice noodles.